W16: Wensleydale Challenge – Leg 5 – Addlebrough and Stake Allotments - new
Leave Station car park at 9.00am Start at pull-in (4-5 cars) about 1Km before Cubeck (GR: SD963894) at 9.45am 12 Miles. Hard. £7 (£6 if all 6 stages booked)
Addlebrough is the distinctive small hill on the left-hand side of Wensleydale. We use the National Trust Permissive Path to get to the summit at 1,451 feet. The path takes us on to Carpley Green Farm where we pick up Busk Lane and cross the attractive heathland where curlew and oystercatchers can usually be seen. High Lane then takes us down through the limestone landscape to the hamlet of Stalling Busk in Raydale, with its views over Semerwater, to The Cam High Road. We follow the route of Wainwrights’s ‘Pennine Journey’ north to Bainbridge with a fine view of the remains of the Roman Fort. From here we contour back along the escarpment via Thornton Rust.
W17: Keld and Birkdale Tarn – “Seasons on the Hill Farm” – new
Details to be finalised
W18: A Masham Circular – new
Leave Station car park 9.15am. Start at Riverside Long Stay Car Park (Honesty Box) in Masham (GR: SE225810) at 10.00am. 11.5 Miles. Moderate. £7
Our walk takes us north alongside the River Ure up to Low Ellington, then along a mixture of tracks, lanes and quiet roads through the villages of Ellingstring and Healey. We continue to walk on field paths before joining a stretch of the Ripon Rowel Walk which takes us back to the pretty Market Town of Masham.
W19: Richmond’s Racing Heritage – new
Leave Station car park at 9.30am.. Start at Whashton Road carpark adjacent to the Racecourse site (GR: NZ171020) at 9.45am. 8 Miles. Moderate. £7
Richmond has a long and illustrious horse racing history dating from the 16th Century until the closure of the Low Moor Racecourse in 1891. The area is now owned and administered by The Burgage Pastures Committee who permit public access to the land. The route will take the group across the racecourse site and then climb up the beautiful and surprisingly isolated valley of Coalsgarth with its old limestone kilns and abandoned farmhouses to Coalsgarth Gate. Here the trail takes the bridle path up hill to The High Moor, the first of the possible original sites of horse racing in Richmond before the move to The Low Moor. The route will then return via The Out Moor to cross the Marske Road to the other ‘High Moor’ which has traditionally been held to be the site of Richmond’s annual races before 1765. The route will return via Willance’s Leap and take in two of the famous racing stables on the Hurgill Road before returning to the Low Moor to complete the final furlong! Leader Graham Berry, who will be giving a Festival talk on his book on Wednesday 22nd, will describe the rich history of the various racing landmarks on the route which has recently been published by the Burgage Pastures Committee as ‘A Short History of Richmond Racecourse and its Grandstand’.
H3: Gillingwood Hall - new
Start opposite Gilling West Village Hall (GR: NZ183051) at 10.15am. 3.8 Miles. Easy. Free just turn up on the day.
In spring this is a favourite bluebell walk. By the end of September we should get some autumn tints in this lovely woodland. We cross the fields to the hamlet of Hartforth with its interesting modern turreted house. We pick up Jagger Lane, once used to carry lead on horseback, up through the bluebell woods. We leave the lane to skirt the horse fields round to the Grade 2 listed Gillingwood Hall with its mysterious follies, once part of the 18th century Hall which burnt down in 1750. Old Hall Lane takes us back to Gilling West.